|Umuvugizi editor Bosco Gasasira|
The paper went live in Rwanda on 22 June 2011. It has been a bruising fight for the paper to get to this stage. Here is the sequence of Umuvugizi struggle and remarkable achievements:
- Rwandan dictator Kagame suspends Umuvugizi on 13 March 2010 along with Umuseso.
- Umuvugizi editor Bosco Gasasira goes into exile in Uganda and starts the online version in April 2010.
- The Rwandan dictator shuts down the online version of Umuvugizi in May 2010.
- Umuvugizi deputy editor Jean Leonard Rugambage is shot outside his Kigali home on 14 June 2010.
- Editor Gasasira moves far away from Rwanda for safety, leaving Uganda for Sweden in July 2010.
- Gasasira revives Umugugizi online but is consistently harassed by hacking, and intimidation of his journalists.
- Editor Gasasira is sentenced in absentia by Rwandan supreme court to two and half year prison term on 3 May 2011.
- The re-entry of Umuvugizi online into Rwanda on 22 June 2011, one year after the death of its deputy editor Rugambage is testimony to the courage and determination of its editors, staff and supporters.